One of the skills Toastmasters practice is expressing a thought within a specific time. As timer you are responsible for monitoring time for each meeting segment and each speaker. You’ll also operate the timing signal, indicating to each speaker how long he or she has been talking. Serving as timer is an excellent opportunity to practice giving instructions and time management – something we do every day.
Please arrive 15minutes before meeting start time, to set up & receive training on the Timing Device.
Here’s how to succeed as timer:
- Before the meeting, contact the Toastmaster and general evaluator to confirm which members are scheduled program participants. Refer to manuals and confirm with Toastmasters for the time speakers need for their prepared speech.
- On meeting day, retrieve the timing equipment from the sergeant at arms. Be sure you understand how to operate the stopwatch and signal device, make certain the timing equipment works and sit where the signal device can be seen by all.
- The Toastmaster of the meeting will usually call on you to explain the timing rules and demonstrate the signal device.
- Throughout the meeting, listen carefully to each program participant and signal them.
– Prepared speeches: 5-7 minutes with +/- 30 seconds
– Table Topics: 1-2 minutes with +/- 15 seconds
– Evaluators: 1-3 minutes with +/- 30 seconds
In addition, signal Toastmaster and Topicsmaster with red when they have reached their allotted or agreed-upon time. Record each participant’s name and time used.
- When you’re called to report by the Toastmaster. announce the speaker’s name and the time taken.
- After the meeting, return the stopwatch and timing signal device to the sergeant at arms. Give the completed timer’s report to the VPE so he or she can record it in the minutes.
Operating the lights:
* Press reset as soon as the speaker starts his/her speech (Pressing Reset starts the clock)
* Press stop as soon as the speaker has finished his/her speech. (Don’t forget to record the time).
* Press the light switch on the far right hand side of the box to activate the lights (green on 5min, amber on 6min, red on 7min)
* Press Reset/Stop quickly in succession to clear the time and reset the lights.